Monday, September 8, 2014

Blog Post #4

Outline:
I: First Source
A: 1/3 of the Class
II: Second Source
A: Lead your Question
III: Tips
A: More of an Effective Teacher

Asking Questions: What do we need to know about asking questions to be an effective teacher?

The first source I researched was The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom. This post focused on how to properly ask students a question. Often, when a teacher asks a question, only a third of the students raise their hands to answer. The remaining two-thirds of the students either think they are not smart enough to answer or they are not engaged at all. Methods and techniques are available to encourage the whole class to think of the answer and engage in learning. A proven technique for engaging an entire classroom is asking the question, waiting a few seconds and calling on a specific student to give the answer. This method encourages all the students to think of the answer in the event they are called upon.

The second source I found interesting was Asking Questions to Improve Learning. This post focused on the “Do’s and Don'ts” when asking questions to a class. When asking a question, you want to lead your students into understanding the main points. When beginning a class, you should not start with a question that has multiple answers. It is important to be clear on what you are asking and use questions that students may see on an essay test. Also, asking questions that lead students directly into the answer can cause students to lose their confidence when answering. Asking questions throughout the class is more effective in engaging students that a pure lecture format. When asking questions, it is important to know how to respond to the students. Do not interrupt or discourage students by not showing interest even when they give an incorrect response. If the student is wrong, it’s important to positively guide them in the right direction.

Using these tips on how to ask questions will help me to become a more effective teacher. Teachers should ask questions to engage their students and assist them in learning more effectively. Prior to these readings, I never thought about how asking a question can affect the student and classroom as a whole. I was one of the students that never believed I was smart enough to answer and so I always let my other classmates answer for me. I also look back and realize I would often zone out and become disengaged with the class. I believe if my teachers had randomly chosen someone to answer, I would have been more engaged.


border="a

2 comments:

  1. Very good post! Great use of ALT and title modifiers, as well as links in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maura, I love the layout of your blog first of all! It's so cute! I focused on many of the same sources as you for my blog post. I agree that calling on specific students causes them to engage and use their brains. I was also one of those students who just let all of my classmates answer for me, because I was afraid of getting the question wrong. I enjoyed your post, and I didn't catch any grammatical errors! :) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete